Monday, October 11, 2010

The Zeal of Baruch

Who is Baruch? Two days ago I would have asked the same question! Nehemiah 3:20 is where its at! I wont take the time to count the number of workers listed in Ch 3 of guys rebuilding the wall in Jerusalem. But Baruch had to stand out to all who observed. What was in his character that got him the label of a zealous worker? He was the only man building this huge wall that was labeled as "zealous." The definition of zealous is=marked by fervent partisanship for a person, a cause, or an ideal. Baruch must of been a fervent believer of God. He was a man building a wall...A seemingly mundane task...yet did it with fervent partisanship because he knew it was honoring God and was a task for God. Like Baruch, I have a passion to build, not a wall, yet a family of believers in Jesus Christ in the greater Highline/Tukwila area. I pray I can build (and when I say "I" that means God through me) a Young Life ministry with the same passion and zeal Baruch had. Even when it comes to the most mundane and routine tasks that I treat those with so much zeal that it sticks out enough and is done with so much excellence that God's kingdom is built here! And that it is not only me God is using, but he is using an entire community of believers here and back in Lake Oswego through prayer! So thanks for your prayers and keep praying!

On Thursday night when I returned from an area director training at WFR I got straight into Bob Thompson's car and went to Carly Henley's house where there was a prayer vigil for her. The previous day she took her life on UW campus. Below is a link if you desire more information.

http://www.b-townblog.com/2010/10/07/highline-high-gradmusician-carly-henley-found-dead-at-uw-frat-house/

Carly went to Malibu with Highline HS a few years ago, she was a student leader, and her sister is currently a student leader for us at Highline. Needless to say this is a tragedy that has hit our community hard and as the area director here, only a week in, I did not know her, but I know several people who grew up with her. So we have done a lot of praying this week, for a lot of the leaders it's been a long week, her memorial service was yesterday, and it was a celebration of her life, beauty, and talent! I think a lot of our leaders are evaluating their own faith right now so pray for them, a lot of them currently attend UW, and lead here in town. God is moving, even through the most tragic of circumstances. Carly was recently diagnosed with clinical depression, and that hits close to home for me, as most of you know why. This is a time where people can choose to trust Jesus and allow him to cradle one's heart in his tender hands, and that is my prayer for the people who suffer from this great loss.

On a lighter note, we received a $5,000 check in the mail the other day to fund this ministry, what a blessing! And tonight Foster High School is starting Young Life club for the year, let it begin! Whoooo! I get pumped because the starting of a club year, represents the starting of many kids' journeys toward a relationship with Jesus. So here we go!  

No comments:

Post a Comment