Monday, October 4, 2010

he knows a way

I am sitting in Burien Press which between here and Starbucks I consider my office for the first month as I soak in the profound calling of what it really entails to be an area director for Young Life and specifically this Greater Highline/Tukwila area. Burien Press has free wireless and I purchase either an americano with some room, or a french pressed cup of vita roasting company coffee to feel "right" about sitting in here hours at a time. I was attempting to think of a clever name for this blog and here in Burien Press a Johnny Cash song came on and I heard the phrase "he has the way" and I changed it to "he knows a way" because I was thinking there are so many lost kids here, so many kids who don't speak English, so many kids who don't have parents, so many kids with little hope, that Jesus Christ KNOWS a way for hope for each kid here as we reach a world of kids, the only way to do so is to trust that Christ knows a way and to follow him in this.

The reason I say "first month" in reference to an office is due to the fact that I have been spending a significant amount of time with Mark Wagner (yes the music artist) whom I have become great friends with. He is on staff as the director of music and worship at Lake Burien Presbyterian Church and we are in talks with pastor Tobien Wilson right now about the church hosting a Young Life office in their building. Tobien, Mark and I just went to lunch today and we have an incredible vision for what Christ is trying to do in our community and we are simply trying to stay out of the way to let him move and shake in this community that so desperately needs him. I truly believe this church is "a hub" of a revival taking place around South Seattle. Under one roof (LBPC) there could potentially be 4 different para-church ministries running out of the church building and we could all end up working together to reach kids for Christ both locally and internationally. The organizations are Orphan Relief and Rescue (based in Seattle ministering in Liberia), Union Gospel Mission, A Woman's Homeless Shelter, and hopefully in a month Young Life! The potential is enormous just imagining all of us and the folks at Lake Burien all under one roof, I can hardly stay in my seat right now thinking about this! Its only my 4th day on the job and all of this is happening, it is so evident God has a plan bigger than my britches for this place, and I am here, and feel so blessed simply to be a part of it. I get beyond myself thinking, wow I am worthy of being a part of something this magnificent, and then catch myself thinking, of course, because Matthew 3:17 says "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased." God said this about Jesus and he says this about me and you! His love is extravagant and we all get to fly, and be a part of the excitement, oh what an honor.

How this bad boy will work...ok, I am in a weird mood right now, because I am so psyched about lunch with Mark and Toby, and I have several ounces of coffee and now green tea (organic of course) in me. Anyways, this will work like so....I am going to try and update often because I am sure a lot of great things will be happening weekly, so the best thing to do is subscribe to my blog, instead of trying to remember to check it. When you subscribe you will get an e-mail when I post. ALSO you can get google reader if you have g-mail and then if you are subscribed to more than 1 blog, google reader tracks every new post on every new blog you read and will roll the material into one page. Make sense? Its cool, thanks Amber Cheng for the knowledge about google reader.

Thanks for reading and subscribing, I started this blog per popular demand for the Lake Oswego folks who stated interest in being updated on new life here in South Seattle. I am certain you will read stories on this blog that will amaze you and bring tears to your eyes in future months and years. Lets go on this ride with Christ together through prayer and community! I am all moved in, settled, and am hitting the ground running. Most of our ministries will be starting throughout October, so stoked!

God Bless, thanks for your love and support, and go ducks!   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_P1PPy7FTo  Return of the Quack

2 comments:

  1. This makes me so happy to read! I'm so proud of you, bro and God is proud of you, too :) I love seeing how excited you are to do the work that the Lord has called you to do there. He is going to use that passion in you to change lives! That's awesome!

    Can't wait to chat more. I'm excited to keep up with your blog. Thanks for keeping up with mine! I love that we can read each others and keep up with what God is teaching us and doing in us. We should also talk in person soon! Love you so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy, you are amazing!! We are going to continue to pray for you here and support all that you are doing. Sun and I are going fishing on Friday. I might drag him up to the Klickitat for a little recon trip. And I am waiting for your call to drift the Yakima with Rich and Keith. That would really be sweet. May the Lord bless you and keep you, and I pray for Him to touch your wounded heart. Love always, Brian

    ReplyDelete